December 20, 2011

let me just tell you about Christmas {subtitled the post with no pictures...}

This is the third week I'm linking up with Becky @ From Mrs. to Mama for Show Me Christmas!


Miss it last time? Read about last week's decorations, and the first week's wish list.

This week, I was lazy again and have zero pics to share {sorry...again}

BUT! Allow me to TELL you about all the fun and exciting traditions I love about the holidays!

This year, I decorated the house by myself-about a week and a half after Thanksgiving, and it only took me about a half hour. This goes against everything I've ever believed in [we MUST decorate as a family, immediately after Thanksgiving, whilst blaring Christmassy jams, sipping cocoa in our pjs-followed by a Home Alone marathon and plenty of oohing and ahhing at the pretty lights]. Better luck next year? I hope so!

Then there's always cookie/treat baking with my mom & sister [minus the fact that this year I fell asleep on my parents bed instead of manning the sprinkles and M & Ms].

Every year, we adopt a family. This year, our family included a 29 year old mother of three kids, ages 9, 10 & 11 who is currently being cared for by Hospice as she is losing her battle with lung cancer. Her story just breaks my heart and I pray for her family everyday-for peace and comfort during this difficult time. On the upside, I had a blast shopping for them!

There's always parties with friends. Our pals Josh n' Jen put on a massive feast every year. Jen [bless her heart, she's a way better woman than me] makes all the food for everybody and then we just sit around, eating, drinking & being merry.

One of my favorite things to do is driving around and looking at all the lights. [I will note that I prefer doing this activity in the fluffy white snow, from the comfort of hubby's plow truck...but West Michigan put the big kibash on that this year as it is severely lacking in the snow department]

On Christmas Eve, we go to my husband's paternal grandparents house for dinner & BINGO with the extended family! Bingo turns into a white-elephant sort of gift exchange and it's always a good time.

Then, [usually during the fifth or sixth showing of Home Alone] my hubby and I exchange gifts in the peace & quiet of our own home. We snuggle & enjoy quiet time before tomorrow's chaos.

On Christmas Day we go to church at 9:30, followed by breakfast quiche and opening presents at my parents' house. At noon, the rest of family comes over for lunch and more gifts. I just love hanging out and playing games with my little cousins.

Christmas night, we head over to Ross's parents for dinner with our brother & sister-in-law for....well, more food, booze & gifts.

Finally, the day after Christmas is spent with my hubby's maternal grandparents & extended family for dinner. Aunts/Uncles/Cousins come up from Illinois, Iowa & Kansas and stay with my in-laws for a few days.

So, in a nutshell...I love family, friends, food, and presents.

Basically we still celebrate Christmas like we did as kids, instead of building new traditions as the established family that we are. SO, I'm looking forward to stalking the rest of you to expand my list of holiday activities. Maybe even some that involve kids and warm & fuzzy things like that.

Happy Holidays lovies!


1 comment:

  1. ahhh, perfection!

    i spend Christmas with Sean's family and my family during Thanksgiving. i have to say that reading this post makes me miss Christmas with my side of the family.

    ReplyDelete