April 27, 2012

put down the cheese and back away slowly...

Forget nesting. What I have is a serious pantry problem.

Ever since I started couponing a while back, my hoarding instincts get kicked into overdrive with every trip to Meijer. I don't think I blogged about it here {probably because you all would have thought I was a freak}, but first there was the day I bought 15 packages of Kraft cheese {sliced, shredded, & cream} because I could save $40 if I did.

Then there's the every time I get stuck in the cereal aisle with no less than 5-8 boxes in my cart. Paying more than $2 for a box of cereal is a crime! Stock up while it's hot! Ugh, they always get me because cereal is always on sale and you can stack coupons like a crazy person to get the best deals. Not to mention we go through a TON of cereal at our house. Ross will maybe have a bowl here and there, but Baby is the one who really likes it. So much that I have to haul out the big bowl every morning and smack myself before I even think about heading back for seconds. It's not unheard of to go through a box in 3-4 days at our house. A decent sized box. 

So, when I placed my third dozen eggs in the fridge this afternoon, it dawned on me that I might have a problem.

Then, when I was putting things my gazillion boxes of cheerios away, I found jars upon jars of outdated queso and thought "I really must have a problem."

When was the last time I had queso? Oh yea, first trimester. Piled high with Frank's Red Hot. Loved that shit.

 I'm not sure whether it's a shopping problem, an eating disorder, or a I-like-to-obsess-over-how-organized-my-pantry-is problem...but something here is not right.

But then I look at the 27 boxes of rice-a-roni that are all facing the same direction, lined up like little soldiers and organized by flavor and date and think "there is nothing wrong with this." I must provide for my family! I WILL use it all before it goes BAD, right?

Wrong. Look what happened with the queso. It's expired! Nobody will ever get to enjoy it, and here it sits taking up room on my shelf! Room that could be better used for the canned mushrooms that I buy in bulk from Costco, or jars of pizza sauce!

Maybe this post would be better titled, "My name is Gina, and I have a problem." Regardless, something has got to change around here. There needs to be limits. Obviously, my organization skills are lacking. Must. brush. up. on. organization. skills. before. child. comes.

Which leads me to....must. organize. child's. room!

Crap!

The cycle continues. Will it ever stop??

1 comment:

  1. hahahah Im a coupon freak and my house was starting to look the same way when I had the same wake call realization happen to me. I was just buying things bc I had a coupon and I was "saving" money. Yeah, well your not really saving if you don't ever use it. I now cut coupons differently. If I already have 6 I probably don't need 3 more JUST because I have a coupon. hahah Good luck with the organizing.

    ReplyDelete